Till 1912, the year in which it received the name Ceccarini after the benefactress Maria Boorman, its former name was Viola. At the end of the 1800s following the urbanization in the south area, the street was laid out with the first cottages and villas and then with businesses, restaurants, hotels. In 1901, Amati, the first hotel, was inaugurated. In 1926 it was the turn of the historical theatre Teatro Dante erected at the crossing with the street viale Dante, which would have become the top venue in town for entertainment till the 50’s when it was demolished. The following year the tramline connecting Riccione to the town of Rimini went into service; restaurants, shops, bars and cafès, places for entertainment were opened subsequentely. In 1939, in the area up of the railway, the theatre Teatro degli Ottomila was opened, a large arena used for lyric opera performances. In the 50’s viale Ceccarini became the fashionable boulevard in the collective imagery. Along it, at street no. 107, stands the Statue of Maria Boorman Ceccarini inaugurated in 2012, during the centenary of the name of the street after the benefactress of Riccione. The statue is in bronze and is a work by the sculptor Leonardo Lucchi from Cesena commissioned by the local association Famija Arciunesa.
Walking up the boulevard you reach the Hospital Ceccarini, whose façade stands at the end of the boulevard. The hospital was built in 1892 by will of Maria Boorman Ceccarini as part of some social and health enterprises in health and social care promoted in favour of Riccione inhabitants.
View in Google maps
The name (in local pronunciation Arcaton) comes from the Greek and Byzantine occupation dated back to the sixth century AD: "Archeion" is the name of a plant, the burr, which still grows spontaneously in some areas of the beach now occupied by the bathing establishments but which was once abundant on the desert shore of Riccione.