Until the second half of the 19th century Riccione, still a part of Rimini, was laying along the ancient roman road. The economy was based on agriculture and trade. At the end of the 19th century, before the development of the shore as a resort, the former vacationers were lodged at the private houses of Riccione Paese.
The railway was important for the economic and social development of the town but it also represented a separation between the old borough and the shore.
A walk in Riccione Paese lets the visitors appreciate the atmosphere of the ancient borough with its old small stores, ateliers and coffee shops. Nowadays Riccione Paese is the venue of cultural events and shows along with the traditional festivals of Beato Alessio and San Martino which celebrate the deeds of the two saints.
The Cultural Centre Della Pesa, in viale Lazio, is the venue of the Public Library and the Museum of the Territory. The museum conserves several evidences from the Prehistory and from the Roman period found in the necropolis in San Lorenzo. The display shows off the history of the territory, from the geologic origin to the former human settlements and the Roman colonization.
In 1786 the little old church on the hill of Riccione was destroyed by an earthquake and was rebuilt in the current place, along Corso Fratelli Cervi. Later the baptismal font was placed in 1827 and in 1855 the old cemetery was built next to the church. Several restorations and new decorations followed one another in the years, until the new restoration in 1989.
San Lorenzo in Strada and the archaeological site
The archaeological finds testify that the area had been already inhabited during the Iron Age: the diggings near the public pharmacy revealed parts of a roman necropolis built along the ancient via Flaminia and the remains of buildings from a later period. On the site you can visit finds that range from the third century B.C. to the sixth century A.D., whose history is explained through the captions. It’s not clear but it seems that the church nearby was erected on the finds of an ancient pagan temple. Right from 997, the church was recognised as a parish church in a Land Act of Ravenna town and in 1059 it was cited as “San Lorenzo in vico Pompilio”. In 1916 it was destroyed by an earthquake, but then rebuilt in 1922 and restored in the second post war period.
The Roman bridge
Near via Flaminia on the stream “Rio Melo”, the bridge is the visible proof of the Roman colonization in the area, located on an important route of communication belonging to the ancient Roman consular road. It’s uncertain the date of its construction; in the seventeenth century it was restored by papal authorities. The bridge was used till the 30s.
The name (in local pronunciation Arcaton) comes from the Greek and Byzantine occupation dated back to the sixth century AD: "Archeion" is the name of a plant, the burr, which still grows spontaneously in some areas of the beach now occupied by the bathing establishments but which was once abundant on the desert shore of Riccione.
+39 0541 426050