Erected with four fortified towers and a lift bridge, it was built by the Agolanti family. Escaping from Florence, they found protection at the court of the Malatestas of Rimini, who they held a political role for.
The castle hosted several important people, such as Christine of Sweden during her trip to Rome. At the beginning of the 18th century the property passed to several families, at least until the terrible earthquake in 1786. Later the castle was assigned to farm house and restored. From 1982 the Municipality of Riccione has owned the castle which is today a venue for cultural events and expositions.
In the surrounding park is visible the sundial projected by Giovanni Paltrinieri.
View in Google maps
The name (in local pronunciation Arcaton) comes from the Greek and Byzantine occupation dated back to the sixth century AD: "Archeion" is the name of a plant, the burr, which still grows spontaneously in some areas of the beach now occupied by the bathing establishments but which was once abundant on the desert shore of Riccione.