Holiday > Visit Riccione
Riccione...as we were
The name Riccione (in the dialect pronunciation is “Arciùn”) derives from the Greek and its origins are probably traced to the 6th century AD during the Byzantine occupation.
“Archeion” is the name of a plant, the bur, which still grows spontaneously on the rare areas of the beach free from the bath establishments, and which was very popular on the desert shore of Riccione.
In the 17th century, due to the trade increase along Via Flaminia, the first urban area developed along that important road. During this period the land showed for the first time its natural bent for hospitality by becoming post house for changing horses and providing services for travellers.
The start of the tourist activity and consequently the changing of the small village along Via Flaminia into a seaside resort was due to the building in 1877 of the Ospizio Marino for the treatment and hospitalization of children suffering from scrofula. Because of the Ospizio many children and their families arrived in Riccione, and arriving were the first visitors, attracted by the beautiful sea landscape and by the inhabitants' hospitality, arrived.
The first villas, belonging mostly to some aristocratic families from the region, were built near the beach and aided in giving the seaside resort an elengant distinguished atmosphere.
Some companies, realizing the importance of future tourism, began investing in accommodation facilities.
In 1922 Rimini, whose Riccione was just a hamlet, became independent and immediately business increased. Construction increased, improving the quality of public services and sport and tourist facilities. And Riccione was on its way to becoming the “Green Pearl of the Adriatic”.
During the Fascism period Riccione was chosen by Mussolini and his family as their holiday destination. For a spirit of emulation and for personal interests, the most important Italian families arrived in Riccione hoping to meet the Duce and gain favor.
Through the depression that occurred all over the country, the socio-economic conditions of the people remained fairly good. Even farmers and workers benefitted from the tourism business which allowed them to supplement their salaries by moonlighting or by letting out rooms to tourists.
This privileged situation went on until 1942 when the World War II bombings caused Rimini and Riccione to be crowded with evacuating people.
However the population never lost their attitude towards hospitality, although strained during the hardest times.
About ten years later the economic and social development resumed its rhythym of growth that had been interrupted by the war.
Until 1945 the war had deeply affected the life style in Riccione but as shortly as one year later many hotels re-opened and visitors returned. The Fascist party leaders were no more; the leaders were now of the industry and business class.
Gradually the elitism of the immediate postwar period receded and a new tendency came along tracing the future of the tourism in the Green Pearl.
By 1954, Riccione was already a well-known seaside resort with 196 hotels, ready to face the increasing tourist stream. During 1955 to 1963 the growth of mass tourism became a reality.
Further boosting tourism was the inauguration of the Adriatic Motorway A14 in 1965, and the increasingly number of charter flights landing at Rimini Airport (about 2 thousand flights in 1964 alone). Mass tourism was steadily increasing.
After the mythical 60s, Riccione continued to offer more, with new facilities, services and new entertainment opportunities, such as great events and shows.